Walnut-useful properties and contraindications. Composition of walnuts, in which cases they are useful, and when harmful
As it turned out beneficial properties of walnuts, the history of the name
Despite the name, they began to spread not from Greece – the first mention of them can be traced from the Caucasus mountains, parts of Central Asia and Persia. The official scientific name in Latin is literally translated as «Tsar’s acorn». Also common name is the term «and walnuts».
It was believed that the Greeks were pervostroitelei beneficial properties of walnuts. To some extent this is true – the Greek physician Galen developed a recipe for strengthening the walls of the stomach and countrywomen widely used shell for the removal of unwanted body hair. But history shows that much more tight studies «Royal acorns» physicians involved in the East, where they were quite common.
Research and use in their practice were noted healers such as Saraswati, Avicenna, Yusuf Tabib and Amirdovlat amasiatsi. In the first centuries, they used the fruits, leaves and peel of nuts as a styptic, antidote, anthelmintic, removal of stones and just as light, well saturating the body with minimum consumption.
A crucial role in the approval played the Roman Empire, the heyday of which had spread walnut nuts. Close contacts with the Persians they did not have, so the bulk of the «Royal acorns» in the Empire supplied Greece. Despite the common official name in the end still caught folk – Greek walnut, in Slavic languages converted to walnuts. This is one of the few exceptions, when an old word is used only in relation to one thing, and in other cases it is pronounced with a modern twist.
By the way, the Persians, called Royal nuts, and the Greeks – the Persian, as soon as that country was brought thence varieties, much smaller in scale, are the progenitors of modern. In fairness, it should be noted that in many countries today is just nuts, without georeferencing.
Modern varieties of walnuts
Unlike many other «home-grown» plants, varieties of nuts do not differ much from each other. The efforts of plant breeders aim to increase the fruit size and thinning of their eggshells, so visible to the eye criterion more will be the size. It is gratifying that no reports about the reduction of the useful properties of walnut in the result of selection.
All varieties there are quite a lot, but main ones are as follows:
• Net. A welcome guest in any garden plot. Its value for small thickness of the crust and distinct taste, allowing you to have fruit both in raw form and used for culinary purposes.
• Hag-Breaker. Most likely one of the Arabian varieties. Has large fruit with a pointed shape is not inferior to the mesh for use in cooking.
• Hard. Cultivar was bred for use in industrial purposes which require the shell. However, this does not make the fruit any less delicious, nutritious and healthy.
• Dinality. This is probably a descendant of small trees from Greece, common there until the delivery from Persia, the larger varieties. Mainly used for decorative purposes.
Other varieties common in the CIS, can be considered derivatives. They are known under several names: sweet, graceful, rich, fruitful, Aurora, ideal, giant, dawn of the East, breeder and others.
Walnut: useful properties and chemical composition
If you wish to include these fruits in your permanent diet, it is necessary to carefully learn their composition, as walnut contraindications can be relative to the individual intolerance of one component.
In General, fruits, leaves and peel contain a significant portion of the periodic table of chemical elements. And since the set of all these elements and substances were formed thousands of years, we can safely say that it is perfectly balanced.
• Amino acids. A positive effect on the protective mechanism of the cells of the human body. Used in the cleaning process and the formation of blood.
• Proteins and their derivatives. Responsible for the overall nutrition of the body and provide the metabolism.
• Beta-Carotene. Promotes the excretion of harmful substances, contributes to skin nourishment and strengthening of vision.
• Iron. Provides a breathing process.
• The iodine. Directly affect the thyroid gland.
• Potassium. Responsible for the stabilization of many processes in the body.
• Calcium. In addition to known effects on bone formation, participates in the intracellular reactions and provides muscle contraction.
• Magnesium. A required component for the proper functioning of enzymes. Has salts and choleretic action
• Manganese. Another component influencing the formation of red blood cells, affects the overall growth of the organism.
• Copper. Provides for the exchange of protein, production of hemoglobin and the growth of bone tissue.
• Carbohydrates. Needed to supply tissues and is an integral component.
• Zinc. Evens out the hormonal balance, improves the efficiency of vitamin E.
Also nuts contain such chemical substances as ascorbic acid, vitamins (A, E, K, PP and group B), fatty oil, Cobalt, Sodium, Selenium, Sulfur, Phosphorus, Fluorine, Chlorine. Together they are involved in almost all metabolic processes of the body.
Despite the pronounced beneficial properties of walnut and its great taste, this is the product that should not too carried away. This is especially true of preparations from leaves and bark of walnut, contra-indications which point out a high enough level of toxins that can lead to poisoning.
First and foremost, the risk group also includes people who are prone to allergies – because of the high protein rejection nuts for them is not uncommon.
Also contraindications walnuts relating skin diseases. The active substances included in the composition, can exacerbate such as psoriasis, diathesis, atopic dermatitis, and stomatitis.
Do not eat nuts, people with gastritis, pancreatitis and other diseases of stomach or duodenum.
Another contraindication walnuts is enhanced svorachivanie blood – the fruits contain as many blood-forming substances that the body’s reaction can be very ambiguous.
In any case, even fully healthy people should not abuse the nuts – day rate, providing the body with essential nutrients is 6 nuts.