Calcium: benefits and harms to human health. Daily requirement: what leads to the lack of calcium?
What else is the use of calcium and whether the excess of this element can lead to negative consequences?
Calcium: benefits and daily rate for the person
Not everyone knows that calcium is good not only for teeth and bones. Its spectrum of action on the human body is quite extensive. Take a look at what other processes are affected by this element.
1. Calcium is involved in blood clotting. To be precise, it prevents the formation of blood clots that clog blood vessels and is often fatal.
2. The process of contraction of muscles and excitability of nerve tissue is also dependent on the amount of calcium in the body. If not, you can start cramps and spasms in the muscles, periodically tingling in the extremities.
3. The amount of calcium in the body depends on the adrenal glands, pancreas and thyroid gland, reproductive system. Even in a healthy person the work of the organs of these systems can be broken if there is not enough calcium in the body or, on the contrary, there is a surplus.
4. Received by the body calcium is consumed also in liquid tissues and cells (the nucleus and the cell membrane also including calcium).
It should also be noted that calcium by itself is not so useful than in tandem with some elements. For example, have the same benefits for teeth and bones would be the same calcium is not do. The bones become stronger due to simultaneous use of calcium and phosphorus.
Normal operation of the cardiovascular system depends to a large degree on the amount of magnesium in the body. But calcium significantly enhances the positive effects of magnesium.
Best absorption of calcium is dependent on vitamin D levels in the body. If enough, calcium will be easier to enter the cells.
What is your daily requirement for calcium? It depends on the age and condition of the person:
• children to 6 years – 1500 mg;
• 7 to 9 years – 700 mg;
• 10 to 12 years 900 mg (boys) and 1200 g (girls);
• from 13 to 20 years – 1200 mg;
• from 21 to 50 years – 1000 mg;
• over 50 years – 1200-1500 mg.
You should also consider that the daily requirement of pregnant and lactating women increases. During these periods, to normal of calcium from foods alone is difficult, therefore, appointed a special drugs.
The benefits of calcium and what is its shortage and excess
Daily include in your diet foods rich in calcium, but still observe the lack of it. What can be the reason? The fact that the item is easily washed away from the body. This is facilitated by proteins, salts and caffeine. If they are daily present in the diet, the benefits of eating foods with calcium in the composition is equal to zero.
Lack of calcium may be associated with addictions, particularly Smoking.
Reduced the item level in the body during pregnancy and lactation, during menopause, when dysbacteriosis, on a background of diseases of the kidney and thyroid.
Signs of calcium deficiency:
• appears unreasonably nervous;
• heart palpitation;
• cramps, numbness and tingling in the extremities;
• increased blood pressure;
• brittle bones, nails and teeth;
• pain in the joints;
• increased secretions during menstruation;
• retarded growth and development in children.
Excess calcium is also dangerous as a deficiency. It appears uncontrolled supplementation with calcium in the composition, as well as in the frequent use of dairy products (for example, when dairy diets).
Signs of excess calcium:
• constant thirst;
• nausea and vomiting;
• lack of appetite;
• frequent urination.
The importance of calcium and what foods contain
To fill the daily requirement do not have to take carcinogenesis drugs. Enough to know, in what products it contains, and include them in your diet.
Faster and easier calcium absorbed from dairy products. This curd, milk, kefir, natural yoghurt, sour cream and dairy cheese.
It is important! It is worth noting that the fat content of dairy products does not affect the amount of calcium in them, and his absorption in the body.
Calcium-rich vegetables, but not all, namely broccoli, carrots, leeks and cabbage. Even canned seafood and sardines contain in its composition of calcium.
To replenish daily intake you can include in your diet black bread and dark chocolate, honey, almonds, dried fruit. They also have this microelement.
In summer, the calcium can be obtained from fresh produce: apricots, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, dill, parsley, Basil, rosemary, fennel and spinach.
Definitely need to remember that there are «universal» products, which are composed of not only calcium but also vitamin D, and phosphorus. It’s raw egg yolk, sea and Brussels sprouts, beef liver and fish, butter.
What is the harm of calcium for the body
Harmful calcium primarily for pregnant women. If the expectant mother begins to uncontrollably eat foods with calcium in the composition, it can result in serious consequences:
• reduced threshold for pain that giving birth is especially important;
• the birth canal will not stretch that complicate the birth process;
• hypercalcemia (excess calcium) leads to the development of calcification of the placenta, which impairs the nutrition of the child in the womb;
• excess calcium during pregnancy affect the baby after birth – quickly overgrown Fontanelle, which can cause intracranial pressure and deviations from the nervous system.
Intake of calcium above required standards may lead to the formation of kidney stones and calcification of soft tissues.
Also, the item prevents the normal absorption of magnesium, zinc and iron that may cause the development of cardiovascular diseases.
During the day, no matter what form is taken by the calcium in supplements or products, it is necessary to drink plenty of fluids. Otherwise you can get dehydrated.
People who have born with lactose intolerance, also should be careful in the pursuit of calcium not to overdo it with dairy products. For them all can end bloating, increased flatulence and diarrhoea.
Those who suffer from diseases of the heart or blood vessels, you need to include in your diet dairy products low fat. Otherwise, the saturated fats contained in milk and yogurt high-fat, will lead to complications.
Calcium Supplement can not be taken during treatment with antibiotics and diuretics. Calcium has the ability to interact with a large number of chemical elements, which prevents their absorption by the body.
Calcium is not just useful, it is vital for a person throughout his life.
But do not forget that the lack of equally bad effect on the body as excess. If you feel that you lack of this element in the body, you do not have appropriate symptoms, you don’t need to include in your diet products with calcium. Otherwise you can harm yourself.