Learning to deal with emotional overeating
«Delicious» is a vicious circle…
Delicious food acts like a drug. When the mood is «on zero», we tend to think that we will feel better after some Goodies. This is actually an illusion. Food evokes pleasant emotions, only in the moment when we eat it. As soon as our plate becomes empty, there is a new reason for a bad mood. Now we criticize ourselves for the fact that once again «stuck» your stress. The result is a vicious circle, escape from which is not so easy.
You eat under stress. Why?
From the point of view of physiology, eating a tasty food activates the production of dopamine in the brain. This so-called «hormone of joy», in turn stimulates the pleasure center in the body. Every unpleasant situation, the body will demand more and more Goodies.
According to psychologists, emotional overeating is very simple. When we eat what we like, we are immersed in pleasant memories associated with these products. Perhaps you remember as a child my mother used to bake your favorite cherry pie. And to return tested once emotions, you eat this pie again and again. Such momentary «amenity» necessarily affect the weight, and adding a couple pounds to the figure. However, emotional overeating can be overcome. Find out how!
5 practical advice in the fight against overeating
1. Learn to distinguish the feeling of true hunger from the desire to «stress-eating». Most often, emotional eating is just a habit. Getting rid of it, you will solve the problem of the abuse of food.
2. In the diet include healthy fats and carbohydrates. Fruits, legumes, breads, whole grain cereals, nuts, oil and fish are the foods you should eat daily. Remember, a good mood can be created with the «right» food! But the shortage of vitamins and minerals – a direct path to stress and overeating.
3. It is not necessary to lash out at the food spontaneously. Observe a small pause, at least 15 minutes. It is possible, waiting a bit, you already do not remember that wanted to eat, and just decide to drink a glass of water.
4. «Stress-eating» also need to be able to. If you understand that you can’t refuse to eat, try to replace high-calorie foods healthier foods. Berries with whipped cream – a great alternative to cake! And, most importantly, benefit from such Goodies much more.
5. But if after a heavy dinner instead of one for tea cookies you ate the whole box? Try to concentrate on what you feel. Try to realize that you don’t feel better for it. On the contrary – sweet in such quantities was clearly unnecessary. Do this «exercise» each time, when you realize that you have overeaten. Over time, you will be able to stop in time.
And, perhaps most importantly. Even if you know that overeating is your problem, don’t be too hard on yourself. Self-blame will only lead to a feeling of oppression and dissatisfaction. But if every day to make a small victory over the feeling of self-starvation, very soon you will achieve great results and can be proud. Remember, your food should be a joy and favor!