How to check a watermelon for nitrates at home: share the experience. To choose a watermelon and check it for nitrates just
Let’s try to figure out how to learn to identify useful berry from harmful and what to do if you already ate watermelon with nitrates?
How to check a watermelon for nitrates at home: General information
As we mentioned above, watermelons are very tasty and useful product, but to grow their own strength is not obtained at all. The fact is that this fruit has a very nasty ability – accumulation of nitrates. So, if exceeded, may cause disorders of the digestive system and poisoning. If in the body they will get on a regular basis – it is fraught with the formation of nitrites, which can cause more serious health problems.
The greatest danger lies in wait for lovers of this dessert since the beginning of the season. The reason lies in the fact that the producers, in order to obtain an early harvest as soon as possible, almost all cultures feed off the nitrates. The situation is compounded by the fact that many of them, with the aim to get maximum profit, you can not stop or exceed the allowed norm of nitrates several times. So, the watermelon, which is filled with so many chemicals turning from tasty treats to a dangerous product that threatens your health, primarily the digestive system.
Important! Not to buy the first early berries and fruits, because they represent the maximum health hazard. This applies particularly to children.
In connection with the occurrence of such a problem, pressing is this question: how to check a watermelon for nitrates at home, in order to protect yourself and your family from bad consequences?
Of course, the best and most accurate option to determine the number of nitrates in the berry will be the application of laboratory methods or special devices of nitrate. However, not all have the use of this device. Therefore, the choice of fruit when you purchase should first thoroughly inspect and examine it.
Actually to do such a test is possible without a lab or special equipment, there are signs that will allow you to make a qualitative assessment of the suitability of this fruit in your food and home.
In addition, you must learn to choose the right berry, as its quality can easily be determined before purchase. For this you need to look at the watermelon and equipment of trading places (often, even high-quality fruit can be damaged because of not good storage conditions).
How to check a watermelon for nitrates at home: how not to be mistaken with a choice?
Nitrates tend to dissolve well in water, often are used to fertilize plants. Not everyone knows that every product initially contains a certain amount of nitrates. But their number is not critical and they do not represent any serious danger to human health.
Nitrates by themselves are not a serious threat, however, when they get into the gastrointestinal tract, begins the process of turning into nitrite, which, in turn, have a strong toxicity for the organism and lead to oxygen starvation of tissues.
Nitrates, when ingested in the human body, can reduce the number of vitamins in food entering the body and disrupt the thyroid gland. In case of exceeding the daily intake of nitrates to the person threatened an upset stomach, bluish discoloration of the skin, heavy breathing, diarrhea, and other bad signs of poisoning.
So how do you determine the quality you offer watermelon before buying it? View the conditions in which are stored the fruit, whether they are neatly stored in clean containers? Make sure that the watermelons are not lying on the floor, and they did not get dirt. No need to risk it and buy a cracked, broken or mashed fruit. Dospevshy watermelon, grown in a natural environment will have a dry tip, but if you knock on it, will emit a characteristic ringing. It is not desirable if the berries during the inspection of its cut, the surface will shimmer a purple hue.
Follow the season and do not buy the first watermelon. Experienced buyer always understand at what point we should abandon the acquisition. Watermelons with the greatest number of nitrates is often sold in the first half of July. If you acquire the fruit, since the second half of August and later, you can not be afraid that the number of «chemicals» in them exceeds the permitted limit, often they are simply not there.
Most sellers allow their customers to eat a small piece just before purchase. In supermarket to show the fruit inside practiced splitting it into two parts, after which he wrapped in a thin plastic film that you can easily see any flaw. However, visual inspection does not allow to determine the presence in the berry «chemistry».
The most accurate information about the number of unwanted substances in the berry can be obtained using a special device – nitrate. But, unfortunately, this device is not cheap, and not everyone can afford it. Therefore, in this case it is better to use people’s characteristics.
How to check a watermelon for nitrates at home: practical advice
There are several options for checking your fetus at home:
1) watermelon as a whole is lowered into a container filled with water (for example, in the bathroom). If the fetus will begin to emerge – in its capacity as no doubt if you go to the bottom – is better, refrain from eating because it is full of nitrates;
2) in pure fruit on the cut will be uneven, the grains. If the cut is smooth and bright – this fruit is unsafe, especially for children;
3) the presence of large veins in the pulp yellowish or whitish hue is a bright sign of the presence of chemicals;
4) examine the slice in the light and if the surface of some shimmering violet shade – it is better not to eat;
5) take a piece of the flesh, dip it in clean water and leave for 15-20 minutes. If the water starts to thicken the fruit quality, if I start to paint in bright pink or reddish color – it is full of chemical fertilizers.
How to check a watermelon for nitrates at home: how to eat the berry?
Do not forget about elementary rules of the use of this delicacy:
- watermelon can be considered quite a separate dish. It is better to eat 1-2 hours before meals (does not need to combine watermelon with other food in order not to overload the stomach);
- before you eat fruit, do not forget to properly rinse it under running water;
- the maximum number of stored nitrates in the skin of berries, so no need to eat it to the crust.
- If you caught the fruit with nitrates and you have eaten in a few hours, you should expect these symptoms:
- nausea, in rare cases, vomiting;
- colic, spasms in the abdomen;
- General malaise;
- sick or dizzy;
1) first and foremost, you should make a gastric lavage, the maximum amount of warm water and pink solution of potassium permanganate;
2) take chelators – drugs that neutralize the poisons in the bowels. These include activated carbon, «Enterosgel», «Smectite», etc.;
3) consume the maximum amount of liquid – it will accelerate the withdrawal of unnecessary substances from the body and reduces the risk of dehydration;
4) drink sweet tea with lemon – this will stop the process of nausea.
5) no need to use medications for pain and diarrhea – they do not correct the situation, but will only mask the real condition of the body.
As you can see, to determine the presence of nitrates in watermelon itself is not so difficult. Follow the simple rules and be alert, avoid suspicious watermelons and do not let their children. Be healthy!