Turmeric — a bright and spicy: benefit or harm? Scientific facts about the dangers of turmeric, healthy recipes with turmeric
This oilseed crop has found wide application in folk medicine, dietary nutrition, cosmetology and food industry.
The treatment is yellow-orange rhizome of the plant, which is a natural dye.
Caloric content and composition of turmeric
Energy value (caloric content) of this spicy Sunny yellow spice used as a seasoning for meat dishes, vegetables, fish, sauces, rice, soups and other products, is 354 kcal / 100 grams. It includes carrying benefits to the body:
• The most important macroelements and microelements – zinc, copper, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, selenium, potassium, calcium;
• Vitamins B1, B2, B3, C, E, PP.
Turmeric serves only as a seasoning for dishes it is added to food in very small doses, and therefore vitamins and valuable macro — and trace elements enter the body in miniscule doses. But there are other components in the minimum quantity of the part of turmeric, but carry health benefits.
This essential oil and constituents – curcumin, terpentine alcohols, borneol and etc. B
deserves more attention for their beneficial properties curcumin – a natural dye nice yellow color.
He has antineoplastic characteristics, lowers cholesterol, has anti-inflammatory effect, prevents the formation of amyloid protein.
Turmeric: good for the body and health
Turmeric for the first time began to use more than two and a half millennia ago, the people of India, but its popularity thanks to the undoubted benefit for the body is a miracle of plant origin is not lost in our days.
Proven beneficial effect of turmeric on the whole body and individual organs and systems for preventive and therapeutic purposes.
• Prevention of cancer (lung cancer and breast cancer, melanoma, leukemia); a slowing of the formation of metastases when diagnosed with the diseases;
• Mix equal proportions of salt (0.5 tsp) dissolved in a glass of warm water – a means to help the throat with angina; with SARS relieves symptoms tea or warm milk with a pinch of spice;
• Thanks curcumin included in the spices, normal operation of the brain, preventing the development of Alzheimer’s disease. The number ill with this incurable disease is constantly increasing. The risk of developing dementia is reduced from the constant use of turmeric, its use in the prevention of disease;
• Skin diseases (psoriasis, furunculosis, eczema) during acute – accelerates the healing of wounds;
• A beneficial effect on the intestinal flora, the digestive organs and liver, is antiseptic, antioxidant and sorbent. Helps with increased flatulence and bloating;
• Ability to remove toxins from the body in case of poisoning (including chemical) found the use of turmeric as an absorbent;
• Used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, gout, arthritis. Has anti-inflammatory, reduces swelling, softens the severe pain;
• Reduces frequency of headaches, migraines;
• Turmeric purifies the blood and blood vessels, reduces cholesterol in the blood;
• Is a powerful antioxidant created by nature, neutralizing harmful effects on the human body free radicals.
Does turmeric damage?
In comparison with the use of the harmful effects of turmeric on the health and condition of the body is substantially less, but still it is worth considering that there are contraindications for use.
• Not recommended the use of turmeric during pregnancy because of the risk of allergic reactions as the expectant mother and baby; breastfeeding mothers; children under five years of age as well should refrain from the use of this spice;
• Nephritis, kidney stones or suspected of having the disease, pancreatitis, hepatitis, gastric ulcer, chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are contraindications, in which turmeric can aggravate the disease and cause harm;
• Simultaneous use of medicines and drugs coupled with turmeric can lead to an unfavorable outcome in the treatment of diseases;
• Toning effect creates problems with going to sleep (falling asleep) when taken in the evening.
Turmeric the product is more useful than harmful if you know the limits and do not exceed a dosage of 3-5 grams in the daily diet, as well as knowing the contraindications and their health.
Turmeric is in the child’s diet: harm or benefit?
To introduce spices in the foods the child should be gradual, since many of them can cause allergic reactions. The gradual addition of spices in food will help to facilitate the identification of the allergen and further exclusion from the daily diet of the baby.
Turmeric is a spice that can bring when used in small doses, significant benefits in the formation of the immune system, to improve work of intestines and stomach, for the prevention of childhood leukemia. Parents seeking to minimize consumption of drugs favorite child, can find some recipes, which contain turmeric:
• Pharyngitis – mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon of honey and dissolve 2-4 times a day. Relief came soon enough.
• Bleeding gums and weakness often found in children. Come to the aid of the solution to rinse from a glass of warm water add half tablespoon of turmeric.
• For cuts turmeric powder helps to stop bleeding, burns promotes rapid healing of wounds (must be mixed in equal doses with aloe juice and apply to the sore spot).
• Helps solve the problem of juvenile acne (acne) the paste of turmeric by adding water.
Turmeric in the diet losing weight, its benefits and harms
Turmeric is used to prevent diabetes and obesity, it normalizes metabolism, is part of the diet of food and drinks.
Whether to use turmeric, if prevention is already too late and there is one of the main problems as men, women, and childhood obesity or excess weight? Let’s try to understand this question.
Turmeric has a similar structure to the popular and widely known ginger that is used for weight loss wanting to lose weight. Curcumin reduces the formation of fat in the tissues and reduces craving for sweet and fatty foods, which facilitates a long and hard process of losing weight. All weight loss recipes should be treated with caution for people suffering from gallstone disease or other ailments associated with the gall bladder and is prone to allergic reactions. It is advisable to consult a doctor even to those who consider themselves healthy. If you do decide to try any new or well known diet, be sure to pay attention to any changes in your condition.
Excessive turmeric and its overdose can lead to feeling of bitterness in the mouth, heartburn, exacerbation of disease (cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, gastritis, pancreatitis, etc.). In the case of anxiety symptoms should seek immediate medical assistance.
Healthy recipes for weight loss with turmeric
To turmeric revealed all its beneficial properties for losing weight, it is used in the daily preparation of beverages, the first and second courses, or in special recipes that we present in this article. For the calorie content of turmeric you should not worry about its content in recipes is very low. When using spices in your daily nutritious diet of miracles, of course, will not happen, but you can try.
1. Smoothies with turmeric, spinach and cucumber
Grind in a blender a handful of spinach, 150-200 grams of cucumber, some greens (dill, parsley, cilantro). To the mixture add a pinch of turmeric, 2 tbsp natural yoghurt and 0.5 a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
2. Milk and honey drink
For weight loss within two weeks 2 times a day recommend the following drink: 1 glass warm milk+ pinch of turmeric and red pepper+ 1 teaspoon of honey.
3. Kefir drink with ginger and turmeric
In 1 Cup nonfat yogurt (or fat content of not more than 1% ), add 0.5 tsp of ginger and turmeric, mix well. To drink between meals.
4. Tea with cinnamon and turmeric for weight loss
In half a liter of boiling water add 4 tablespoons of brewed tea, a teaspoon of honey, pinch of cinnamon and turmeric, a little ginger. Drinking tea is slightly cooled, once daily (preferably in the morning, as it has a tonic effect).
It should be noted that turmeric is very good as a secondary ingredient in the recipes for those seeking to lose weight. But the basis of weight loss, adherence to diet, limiting consumption of sweet and fat, being physically active, healthy lifestyle.
Turmeric has a slightly pungent taste and spicy aroma, has a large number of fans among gourmets and connoisseurs of traditional recipes of different dishes. But as it turned out from this article, it has useful properties as well as those that can harm the health. Whether to use turmeric as a dietary Supplement can only be solved on an individual basis, relying on your taste and given the state of health of the organism.